New Site Theme for 2012

This thread is now closed
Author Post

Webmaster

Wed Jul 18 2012, 04:42PM

By now you will have realised that the UKSMG website has changed in appearance. We have upgraded our site bringing it in line with the latest HTML5 standard, using Responsive Web Design. Responsive Web Design basically means that our site will now be easier to read on most mobile devices, the content will dynamically resize to the screen size. Additionally the site should appear faster, This is our first step in making our site more mobile friendly and more tweaks will be made in the coming weeks to perfect this. I hope you like our new look, I guess it will be like Marmite to some i.e. you will either love it or hate it, but I hope the majority of you will like it. If you want to read more about Responsive Web Design, please go here.
Stewart, G0LGS
Wed Jul 18 2012, 07:13PM
Stewart, G0LGS
Registered Member #477

I like the new look (I was not so impressed with the changed layout using the old theme).

When it comes to mobile devices I am a novice user (I hardly ever use the phone for anything), however I thought I would take a look at the site, so far I have loaded the site on my Android phone (not logged in) and I get the 'Welcome' message at the top followed by various other 'news' items, but I cannot find a way of getting to login (in either 'landscape' or 'portrait' viewing) - all I see is the 'right' column and no scroll bar and trying to scroll my dragging my finger on the screen does nothing.

Viewing the site on my Tablet (which I have used a little more) with it's wider screen seems to work fine.

Is it jsut me ? anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong with the phone ? (it doesn't seem to matter if I use the default Browser or the new mobile version of Firefox).

Stewart G0LGS
Dai, G8FXM
Wed Jul 18 2012, 07:43PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Stewart, just seen the same issue on my Android phone. This is caused by an older site file being cached to your phone. If you know how to clear your browsers cache then doing this will clear your problem. Otherwise navigate to
Stewart, G0LGS
Wed Jul 18 2012, 08:15PM
Stewart, G0LGS
Registered Member #477

Dai,

I've never opened the site on my phone before now (I rarely use the mobile phone to even make 'phone calls' never mind access the web).

On a further look I did find the login panel, but it required me to scroll a long way, which does not seem to match up with the part of the 'Responsive Web Design' ideas.
Roger, G4HBA
Wed Jul 18 2012, 10:09PM
Roger, G4HBA
Registered Member #54

I like the new look very much. It works really well on my Samsung Galaxy Note. Thanks for all the time you put in for us Dai.
Dai, G8FXM
Thu Jul 19 2012, 08:12AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Stewart, G0LGS wrote ...
Dai, I've never opened the site on my phone before now (I rarely use the mobile phone to even make 'phone calls' never mind access the web). On a further look I did find the login panel, but it required me to scroll a long way, which does not seem to match up with the part of the 'Responsive Web Design' ideas.

Hi Stewart,
'Responsive Web Design' doesn't dictate the order in which items are displayed, but I do take your point. I'll look into this and see what can be done to bring the login menu to the top when the display is reformatted to a single column for small screen devices. Thanks again for the feedback.