GB3IOJ & GB3NGI 6m Beacons

Author Post

Murray, G6JYB

Mon May 04 2009, 02:58AM
As I noticed a short snippet on the UKSMG news headlines, this is a copy of the posting I put in the main UK Beacons Group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/uk_beacons/
- which you are welcome to join and help shape the future of UK Beacons

Murray G6JYB

++++++++++++++++++++
Fri May 1, 2009
Some more news from the ongoing beacon activities:-

Firstly, the current owner of the GB3IOJ Channel Isles beacon has confirmed it
is beyond repair which combined with a lack of local support has led to the
joint conclusion that its no longer viable and we list the entire system as QRT.

Should interest surface elsewhere we could always consider a fresh proposal, but
in the meantime it does not appear to represent too critical a loss in the
overall scheme of things. (though I respect any who may disagree)

On a more positive note RSGB has received an enthusiastic and sound proposal
from Gordon GI6ATZ for turning the GB3NGI 6m prospect into a reality based at
the current GB3NGI 2m site in Northern Ireland. Iain G0RDI has just updated the
IARU Region-1 listing for this - it is now for a 30W system on 50.0625MHz from
the useful altitude of ~500m asl.

Comments on the NGI prospect are welcome in the coming week or so whilst we are
busy dealing with several other situations

regards

Murray G6JYB
Murray, G6JYB
Thu Aug 20 2009, 11:05PM
Murray, G6JYB
Registered Member #910

An update on UK 6m beacons...

a) The application for the all new GB3NGI is now with Ofcom-UK for vetting

b) Discussions are in hand for the replacement for GB3IOJ , which is effectively a completely new system and will be a new application to Ofcom-UK. IARU-R1 has just confirmed its old frquency assignment is still available and has updated its beacon listing accordingly. If any one has some ADS9852 chips spare we would be most interested as this would enable it to use a modern locked keyer/exciter like those on GB3RAL/VHF etc

c) A reminder (before its too late, hint) that a few remaining 6m beacon keepers have yet to send in their forms to be re-licensed by Ofcom under the new NoV scheme - please contact me asap for assistance

regards

Murray G6JYB, RSGB
Ken, G4IGO
Fri Aug 21 2009, 06:45AM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

Thanks for update Murray - but given recent comments on many chats etc over the last few months / years should not the opportunity to move the beacons from the low end of the band be looked into and taken now?
Murray, G6JYB
Fri Aug 21 2009, 07:58AM
Murray, G6JYB
Registered Member #910

Hi Ken
The suggestion of replanning/moving the 6m beacons in Region-1 to further up the band was informally 'floated' at the end of last years Region-1 Cavtat conference as a future item. It a potential topic for the Interim Vienna meeting next Feb for which national Societies need to submit papers by Nov-1 this year. The regular Vienna event is usually a good one for coordinating policy development

We would definitely welcome UKSMG and other views on what obviously would be a major undertaking for beacons and bandplanning - David G4ASR is more properly the lead contact on this, but I dont mind being a conduit - or perhaps this forum or the yahoo uk_beacons or ukc5discussion (iaru) reflectors can discuss it

I can see the merits myself , but I have no illusions about the sheer scale of whats involved (its hard enough redoing our 70cm beacons and preparing to get them IARU bandplan compliant)

Murray G6JYB
Murray, G6JYB
Mon Nov 16 2009, 09:22PM
Murray, G6JYB
Registered Member #910

For those who may not be aware both GB3NGI(new) and GB3IOJ (effectively new) have been approved by Ofcom and NoVs issued for their standard (pre-Vienna mtg) frequencies

regards

Murray G6JYB, RSGB
Murray, G6JYB
Wed May 26 2010, 04:29PM
Murray, G6JYB
Registered Member #910

Hi
The new GB3NGI 6m beacon is on the air (though drifting a little frequency-wise)
Hope you find it useful - its already had a few good spots on the cluster
Murray
Dai, G8FXM
Thu May 27 2010, 07:56AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Thanks for this Murray, I'll update the beacon map
Murray, G6JYB
Sun Jun 20 2010, 09:47PM
Murray, G6JYB
Registered Member #910

One other update  - which I haven't seen on some listings - GB3NGI runs a horizontal halo - not a vertical
The GB3NGI website has just been updated and includes a picture of it amongst other things:-
regards
Murray G6JYB