Sporadic E

Author Post

Trev, EA5ISZ

Thu Jun 19 2008, 06:34AM
I can see that this is another thread with legs so moved here to the forum. Personally, I still subscribe to the notion that Sporadic E is caused by several factors that are probably not individually related but when sufficient happen simultaneously 'bang' and the Es are there! From my viewpoint, the challenge is to identify the catalysts that make this happen. I remain convinced that thunderstorms (specifically lightning) has a part to play. I seem to recall Jim BaconG3YLA produced an interesting article in Radcom on this subject 20 or so years ago. I'll try and dig it out later and report back.
Trev

[ Edited Thu Jun 19 2008, 06:58AM ]
Gary, M1GRY
Thu Jun 19 2008, 12:40PM
Gary, M1GRY
Registered Member #515

I am by no means an expert in this area, being fairly new to 6, however my gut feeling is that lightning plays a role in sp-E activity. I was very intrigued seeing the "sprites" pictured from space which were upwards projectiles from thunderstorms, and I wondered how they might affect propagation.

A few weeks ago (on Friday) I returned from a business trip in France. The TV channels were reporting big thunderstorms over central europe for that weekend. I was tired so didn't go out /P on my return and only later found out that I had missed the best opening of the year so far (Saturday 24th May).

--Gary (M1GRY/P)
Robbie, Ei2iP
Thu Jun 19 2008, 12:57PM
Robbie, Ei2iP
Registered Member #19

Trev, I do notice for sure that having a more southerly location, allows me to hear a bit more traffic from the South & South west, whether sea path has something to do with it I am not sure. Even last night the band was so quite I could hear D4C/B well. It's all a bit of a mystery!
Trev, EA5ISZ
Fri Jun 20 2008, 11:27AM
Trev, EA5ISZ

Registered Member #13

Sorry it took a while to get back on this. Having spent quite a while searching my CD based issues of RadCom to find the Jim Bacon article, I have since also remembered another article by Bill GM4DGT on this subject which is actually available here on our website. Look here: I think Bill puts a convincing case for lightning being a potential contributor towards Sporadic E. I also noticed that the articles by Jim Bacon are referenced at the bottom of Bill's contribution along with several other useful references. I wish I had looked here first