Go to page       >>  

LoTW

Author Post

Brendan, G4DYO

Wed Jun 04 2008, 08:39AM
For several years I have regularly uploaded my QSOs to LoTW and obtained a fair number oif confirmations by that method. My recent 6m activity has not yielded much success in this direction, only one station confirmed - CN8LI.

Does the 6m fraternity not chase DXCC to the extent of the HFers or do many of them not yet appreciate the usefulness of LoTW? The software is a bit strange, but when you get used to it QSOs can be uploaded very quickly. Last year I wanted a particular confirmation for my HF DXCC so I emailed the QSL Manager and he very kindly uploaded that single contact and within seconds the details appeared on my DXCC record.

Give it a whirl - it's good medicine.
Trev, EA5ISZ
Wed Jun 04 2008, 09:20AM
Trev, EA5ISZ

Registered Member #13

For whetever reason, I think many, if not most, 6m dxers favour a 'real' QSL card as confirmation of their QSOs. I appreciate LoTW can be used for more than this, but it does tend to be viewed as a convenient alternative to QSLs more than anything else. Quite a few expeditions make good use of it as it particularly cuts down on dupes which can be quite a problem on 6m with weak sigs and the possibility that they might just not have your correct call-sign I have no doubt others have alternative views.
Per, LA7DFA
Wed Jun 04 2008, 09:53AM
Per, LA7DFA
Registered Member #189

I love LoTW as it saves time & money. LoTW is the future of hamradio. If you want to collect cards then its downhill from here. It seems like LoTW is gaining popularity and 'afaik' it may also be available for other awards than just ARRLs.
I have worked about 25 QSOs on 6M the last week and already have several contacts confirmed!
In my opinion a website to present your station is much better than any QSL card.
Darrell, G0HVQ
Wed Jun 04 2008, 04:36PM
Darrell, G0HVQ
Registered Member #206

I a fan of LoTW too - all my computer logs are up on there, and I've got a 12% overall confirmation rate. The rate was down at 5% (mainly 6m and 10m QSOs over 2 cycles) but has shot up since I've been doing HF contests over the past 9 months. So, outside the contest community, it does seem that there's slower take-up, but as Per says it is getting better. And remember that a lot of us have logs going back way before computer logging, and don't have the time/energy to type all those QSOs in.

Personally, I think it complements paper QSLing rather than replacing it. And it's easy to use with programs such as Winlog.
Brendan, G4DYO
Wed Jun 04 2008, 06:39PM
Brendan, G4DYO
Registered Member #441

Hi Darrell. Those stats of yours - did you just calculate them yourself or has LoTW got some clever method of working them out?

When I started computer logging about 15 years ago I typed all my past QSOs into the PC. It took a while but has paid dividends many times. LoTW and the ease of searching for past contacts are but two good reasons..

I fully understand Trevor's point about the desire for cards. I don't collect cards except for specific purposes but will always respond immediately to a card received. For me LoTW avoids having to send cards in the post, which I always found traumatic. Hi!
Paul, GW8IZR
Wed Jun 04 2008, 06:57PM
Paul, GW8IZR
Registered Member #49

Well I cant say Ive used LOTW and I do like to get the stack of cards through the post but it is an expensive part of the hobby, not just in cost of cards but time.

In particular I find sending a couple of thousand cards and receiving a few hundred in return for HF contest qsos a bit of a bind on the other hand its nice to get the rare ones back and I dont believe I should be entitled to them if I dont bother to send them out.

So LOTW users whats your policy? Do you only LOTW or are you selective?

73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73
Per, LA7DFA
Wed Jun 04 2008, 07:54PM
Per, LA7DFA
Registered Member #189

LoTW is just a adittional way of QSLing Paul. Buro, e-QSL and direct cards are also a part of the picture. For now I send via buro for all first contacts with a station plus LoTW and e-QSL.
When (if) LoTW becomes the way everybody confirms contacts (imagine 100% confirmation within months!), I guess the other methods will stop and we all will save money witch mostly are wasted in mail/stamp fees today.
Brendan, G4DYO
Wed Jun 04 2008, 08:32PM
Brendan, G4DYO
Registered Member #441

i think it should be understood that the primary reason for using LoTW is for ARRL awards, although it is a way of confirming that you have made a contact. When two DXers submit logs of the same QSO they are automatically credited with the confirmation. You still have to have that applied to your award, but tis is just a matter of a few key clicks. I believe that other award schemes are going down this road, eg IOTA.

For those wanting a more conventional QSL, but in electronic format, there is always eQSL.
Darrell, G0HVQ
Fri Jun 06 2008, 01:13PM
Darrell, G0HVQ
Registered Member #206

Brendan, G4DYO wrote ...

Hi Darrell. Those stats of yours - did you just calculate them yourself or has LoTW got some clever method of working them out?

Just worked them out myself, was interested what the return rate was. Not getting many confirmations before the year 2000 so guess not many have typed in their old logs.

Paul, GW8IZR wrote ...

So LOTW users whats your policy? Do you only LOTW or are you selective?

Well, I upload my logs to LoTW about once a month. I also QSL via the buro but most are replies to cards received. I also send the odd direct QSL for a new DXCC on 6m, but it doesn't happen much these days. I've got boxes of cards in the loft, never look at them, never use them (apart from the occasional glance at the 6m F2 cards, to remind me there really were openings like that on 6m)...I've got over 100 confirmations on 6m but not got round to applying for DXCC yet, guess I'm just not that interested in QSLing, I'd rather be QSOing

GM4FAM, Cris
Tue Jun 24 2008, 01:59PM
GM4FAM, Cris
Registered Member #544

Hi Bren
You asked about working out your LoTW confirmation percentage.
Top right hand corner when you log onto LoTW - it tells you what your callsign is (useful!) and underneath the number of QSO and QSL records you have - just do the math!
I also upload my LoTW once a month - the 6m confirmation rate is running lower than the overall average at just over 10% (835 QSOs / 85 QSLs) - the all band totals make just over 15% (34263 QSOs / 5262 QSLs).
Having been an SWL for many years and since then chasing DXCC and squares on all 10 bands (11 incl 4m!) - I know how much a QSL is appreciated. I automatically QSL all incoming cards and all QSOs made go on to LoTW.

Go to page       >>