What are the possibilites with this set up?

Author Post

Mark, G0NMY

Fri Apr 13 2012, 12:45AM
Hi Guys
I am totally new to 6m and have a somewhat minimum setup
I have an MFJ9406x no cw board driving an amplifier to 50W and a delta loop at about 15ft fed with rg213 coax.
I live in a built up area and do suffer from bad qrn from time to time.
I would like to ask just what can i expect to work with this limited set up?
Any advice and suggestions appreciated
Thanks Mark GØNMY
>:D
Trev, EA5ISZ
Fri Apr 13 2012, 09:01AM
Trev, EA5ISZ

Registered Member #13

Funny you should ask that question Mark as the subject of what can be worked with a minimal setup is the theme for our display stand at the Norbrek Rally this week-end. In brief, you should do very well during the sporadic E season which is just starting to get under way. Es signals tend to be very loud, often tens of dB over S9 even with simple antennas such as a loop or a vertical. You should expect to be able to work pretty much all of Europe with the possibility of multi hop Es extending that to Eastern USA and Canada. Your limitation is likely to be due to local QRM or being in competition with much larger stations but your system should be well capable of acheiving these sorts of results.  
Of course its important to be on the band when the openings take place.  Some are fleeting, especially some of the more distant contacts but generally speaking Es on 50MHz tends to last for hours rather than minutes.  You may go a day or so hearing next to nothing then the band will open perhaps every day for a couple of weeks!  Summer Es run roughly from the end of April through to mid August peaking in June/July.
gl, Trev

[ Edited Fri Apr 13 2012, 09:05AM ]
Mark, G0NMY
Fri Apr 13 2012, 10:31AM
Mark, G0NMY
Registered Member #876

Hi Trev
thanks for the quick reply, the main reason I asked is I have been reading the uksmg newsletters amd upto issue 28
and the majority seem to be using large beam antennas, which I
am not sure I could get away with on a mid terraced house which has always been the reason why I never bothered with 6mtrs,but judging by your reply I can expect to have a lot of fun on the band with this basic setup. Obviously its all down to SP-E etc and there are no guarantees as you say but atleast I can give it a go. Sadly I wont be going to the blackpool rally but I wish you every success there, and hope you can get more new members into UKSMG.
Thanks Trev 73 and good dx.
Mark GØNMY
Dai, G8FXM
Fri Apr 13 2012, 11:05AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Mark, you might want to try a DSP filter for your QRM. Try JE3HHT’s DSP Filter software, it's a little old now but still gets great reviews. It can be downloaded from here:

The manual is available here:

Good luck in the upcoming Es Season.
Ian, G6TGO
Fri Apr 13 2012, 12:20PM
Ian, G6TGO
Registered Member #170

Hi Mark.
I am within talking distance of you so give me a shout on 50.150 also I am here to help if you have Skype just call us by clicking the Green caption on the UKSMG webpage 'I'm online' or Email me for my Mobile number and I can keep you posted or you can contact me direct, if you are visiting Norbreck please call in the stand myself and Trev will be there to help.73 de Ian G6TGO Altrincham,
Mark, G0NMY
Sat Apr 14 2012, 12:49AM
Mark, G0NMY
Registered Member #876

Hi Ian
for some reason I missed your post, Anyway thanks for the offer of help most appreciated, I have been having a tune around the band i can hear the buxton beacon about s7 which is ok as my aeriel is shileded a little to the north, so I am pleased I am hearing it. I have to admit that one of biggest pains I am having is knowing what frequency the radio is actually on, however I have emailed MFJ asking if I can tap off inside the radio for direct frequency readout and am awaiting a reply. I have also had a search for some jt6m/iscat signals but as yet not decoded any but my soundcard may not be upto the job on the laptop.
Anyway Ian thanks for the reply and I will hopefully catch up with you on 6mtrs.
73 and good dx
from Mark GØNMY