Alinco DX70H

Author Post

Wayne, VK4WTN

Thu May 20 2010, 11:56AM
Just wondering if anyone out there aree using one of these radios on 6 meters and how do they compare with other radios on the market.
Ian, G5WQ
Thu May 20 2010, 07:18PM
Ian, G5WQ
Registered Member #81

i have used an alinco DX70TH  version in the last sunspot cycle peak and it performed superbly , i worked a few VK4s and many pacific prefixes with it , with a maximum path of 16500km .its the same mic wiring as kenwood and of course you can run HF and 6M on separate antenna sockets which isnt available on a lot of other radios for mobile use .the second vfo knob is very usefull , you can set it to 2.5khz and can scan quickly up and down the band for other stations etc .the filters work very well and i found it easy to use when you are in a hurry [ ie when the dx pops up and you have to be very quick] .the standard mic makes good quality ssb audio and you dont really need any other mic in order to better it .the display is allways bright and viewable at any angle .s-meter is fine .i found that a VFO knob from an icom 706 fits straight on in place of the original knob which didnt have a finger hole , but the 706 knob does have this .modifying the radio for 40-60mhz coverage isnt hard, but you need to make sure you removed all the screws from the panel on rear of front fascia panel and be carefull when prying the plastic cover plate off to access the pcb behind it .as far as receive side goes i have not found a radio thats any better than the dx70th with regard to weak signal sensitivity and strong  signal handling ability . i have many 6m radios in my collection and the dx70 is one id use anywhere without any problem at all .it may be small in size but it will perform as good as anything else , but obviously it doesnt have all the bells and whistles that some other radios have .one thing i would add is that you should not plug an extension speaker lead into the rear socket unless the radio is switched OFF , otherwise you may fuse the track on the pcb board behind the socket .the dx70 can run with older style amplifiers and has an internal relay that you can use , which allows it to  connect directly to 120v ptt circuits as used in amps like the SB200 SB220 and TL922  .for 6m use its a damned good radio and underrated . the only radio i would use in preference to it is one of the ic756 range due to the fact that on 6m having the spectrum display screen to view in real time is a valuable aid to working 6m if you dont want to forever keep turing the vfo and scanning up and down the band .i prefer the ic756pro3 to the other versions of the ic756, for its crisper spectrum display , but the early ic756 has the better noise blanker which actually works , whereas the pro range NB are pretty useless in all of the pro versions .NB on the dx70 works finewith car ignition and blower motor noise etc .73 ian
Wayne, VK4WTN
Thu May 20 2010, 09:55PM
Wayne, VK4WTN
Registered Member #1293

Thanks for the reply Ian. I bought my Alinco two months ago and am very impressede with how it performs especially receive sensitivity on hf.On 6m it is about the same sensitivity as my homebrew transverter but has a lower noise base.The only slight critisism is that on cw I find the signals a littlen harsh with the filters and much prefer to listen to cw on ssb.It is a shame that the ssb filter cant be used on cw.I added a dsp speaker which works unreal on 40 and 80 meters when the band is noisy.OK about removing the speaker when the radio is turned on,I will get out of that habit in the future.
All in all I think that this radio   is a little beauty, would like to know how you found it receiving on cw?
cheers Wayne