5 ele tonna beam

Author Post

Simon, M3SWK

Fri Aug 15 2008, 08:01PM
hello everybody. I have been running a diamond 2 ele 6m beam for the last 18 months. I have now got a 5 ele tonna that is waiting to be put up. do you think i will notice a difference. I am on a small budjet for radio gear. do i need an rf coax choke, how much coax and what type. remember my pocket hi hi. i have worked most of europe on the 2ele beam when conditions have been good. but i monitor the dx cluster and there is lots out there that i cant hear. perhaps the 5 ele will do the trick until i win the lottery and become a 6m big hitter. all comments appreciated thanks. M3SWK
Robbie, Ei2iP
Fri Aug 15 2008, 08:10PM
Robbie, Ei2iP
Registered Member #19

At least feed the yagi with west flex and keep the run short. Although the Es season has passed it's peak, I am sure you will still catch some openings.
Location plays a bit part in what you will hear, I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will work some DX.

Regards,
Ei2iP
IO61CX
Ken, G4IGO
Fri Aug 15 2008, 08:56PM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

Simon I agree with Robbie - there is still a couple more weeks when E's can be good - so get on and see. Also come on the ON4KST chat page and get more of a feel for the band etc. GL
Mark, CT1FJC
Fri Aug 15 2008, 10:17PM
Mark, CT1FJC
Registered Member #287

Simon, Best to get the antenna up as soon as possible and perhaps you will catch some late E's.
I have used a 5 el Tonna for many years 6 metres above ground level with good results. Worked 142 countries on it, and to date 80 countries this year. A choke is not required I find, swr is excellent.
Feed the antenna with Ecoflex 10, or the cheaper Aircell 7 cable.
Using these cable, which are very flexable, you will not need to change cable around the rotator. Good luck see you on ^. 73 Mark CT1FJC
Simon, M3SWK
Sat Aug 16 2008, 01:39AM
Simon, M3SWK
Registered Member #79

Thanks Guys.
Kerry, G8VR
Sat Aug 16 2008, 02:52PM
Kerry, G8VR
Registered Member #107

Simon
Check this out:http://www.uksmg.org/content/tonna.htm

73's Kerry
Simon, M3SWK
Sat Aug 16 2008, 06:02PM
Simon, M3SWK
Registered Member #79

Thanks kerry. I have now put the beam on a temp pole, about 6m up in the air. swr perfect. easy to build. the difference is unreal. I have 5 s points of noise less with the tonna compared to the 2 ele beam. it is taped to the washing line post at the moment. I know im at little late it putting this beam up, However, I ordered the beam from a very well known midlands based radio shop and it took 2 months to arrive due to no stock. it was meant to arrive a few days after ordering. I wish some of these radio shops would say when the item is out of stock so elsewhere can be tried before paying. Anyway, I may just catch the last of the summer Es. looking forward to catching up with the 6m crazy people that I havent heard before. I have spent a lot of time listening to white noise at s7. Atleast now I can listen to whitenoise at s1 and maybe catch a few more operators. best 73s and thanks to those that have taken the time to reply. I cant beleive the difference.