Adrian, G0KOM
Registered Member #39

Hmm QRP is a swear word in Neils dictionary
Ian, G7RIS
Wed Sep 17 2008, 09:21PM
Ian, G7RIS
Registered Member #149

Hi Adrian,
Listening to Neils signals I thought he always worked QRP in to a piece of wet string!!!!
Only kidding Neil
73 Ian
Peter, PA2V
Thu Sep 18 2008, 02:57PM
Peter, PA2V
Registered Member #76

Now I understand why Neils sig's are allways so fluttery....
73, Peter
Ken, G4IGO
Sat Jan 24 2009, 03:04PM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

Hi All. May I be allowed to make the following comments?
Firstly, to the best of my memory (I can claim to be one of the very few people who was in at the beginning of the UKSMG, and am still active on a daily basis on the band - however as I am getting on nowadays I could be accused of senior moments ), I remember that the Standings table was purely and simply set up to be an informative table of what people had honestly claimed to have worked and was to be just for “fun” use to indicate the state of 50 MHZ as it changed over the years and as the people who used the band changed. It was NOT meant to be competitive – which seem to be the way the whole band is going. I appreciate that that was some 20 plus years ago and that many more Countries, particularly in EU now have 50 MHz – but surely the basics haven’t changed?
This table did us, without ANY problems for many years until “a year or so ago a problem occurred when more than one station claimed the same number of countries worked” - OK the solution was – “based upon recommendations from several members, was to create an additional DXCC column” – what about the majority view?
This additional column has clearly caused a problem – not only for those that use the table but for the UKSMG etc. We are told quiet rightly that -”We do not have the resources to manually do this within the committee”. However -why make more work? It will require that every time somebody updates their DXCC column somebody from the UKSMG will have to check its correctness– or will we go back to an honesty situation – if that’s the case then why not start from that presumption?
Why choose this solution – after all there was a built in solution – use the next line in the table – the Major field line. This was already sorted and does not require any additional time from the UKSMG to deal with it. If that still caused a problem in the unlikely event of the same number of Major fields being claimed – then go to the next column.
To Peter PA2V and others perhaps its pertinent to point out that in the early days, when some people submitted for ARRL DXCC awards / updates that the ARRL, in its wisdom decided, in hindsight that some Entities that it had granted DXCC status, were removed the status so people were getting tired of constant rule changes to suit – so a lot of people nowadays no longer go for DXCC etc and have no interest in paper collecting and so therefore there will be out of date or no entries in the ARRL table.
As we can see the debate is again branching off into all sorts of unwanted and dangerous and divisive areas – just because “several members” wanted a change – not the silent majority. This you will remember also occurred about a year ago no doubt “based upon recommendations from several members” re the EME situation that as we can see is now dead – but we still see people wanting to separate themselves from the main core of 50 MHz Amateurs – why?
It is a pity that effort being put into paper collecting (not that I am sure most people have problems with it) is rewarded over skill and effort.
I do honestly believe that there is a part contradiction in Trevor’s last post “This is not an ARRL table but purely for members and non members alike of UKSMG to take part in what is supposed to be a fun part of our shared interest. The ARRL requires some significant effort to be able to appear in their list, the UKSMG table is open to all” So the Standings table is NOT an ARRL table (or based on it) yet ONE column in the table will only be accepted on ARRL terms.
To this end I respectfully suggest that the UKSMG saves itself a lot of work, restores faith in itself and goes back to basics by removing the offending column and use the table columns already in place to sort out any very minor problems
Further suggestions are -
Firstly, where 2 entries in the tables have the same number of Countries, award them equal status i.e. – the same position number (joint 10th, joint 15th etc) – or is that too easy?
Secondly make the table an Award – then those who wish to go for it can – the rest – well – they won’t be concerned.
Thirdly – remove it entirely.
And remember – “The bottom line is if you don't like it then don't use it” – and I am sure that several people have and more will – and frankly a great pity if that happens. Also whatever happens the truth can’t be changed and just because it isn’t in a table don’t mean it aint so.
Ken, G4IGO
Wed Feb 04 2009, 10:16PM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

Hi All - just an observation - since the web master has reset the entries that dont have an ARRL entry it is interesting to note that the vast majority of entrants dont have and ARRL entry - so there are many more zero entries than ARRL entries - so again the minority have it over the majority - but also it gives more evidence to have the column removed surely?
Dai, G8FXM
Mon Feb 09 2009, 06:11PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Ken, DXCC is used as a tie breaker, so it has it uses.
Ken, G4IGO
Fri Feb 13 2009, 05:37PM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

Hi David. May I refer you to my earlier post which I suggest is read in full . The subject of tie breaker as you call it, was already sorted. It is only due to the "recommendations from several members" that propnted the change.
Anyway - as it has been clearly stated by the UKSMG Chairman the "The bottom line is if you don't like it then don't use it"
so it would appear there little point in discussing the matter further.
A great shame that something that worked so well for so long is being left in this way.
It is plain that people already have taken the Chairmans advice - and I am sure that others will.
Go to page   <<