Go to page   <<        >>  

Tables

Author Post
Neil, G0JHC
Thu Aug 14 2008, 02:37PM
Neil, G0JHC
Registered Member #110

I was just wondering if it would be possible to change a column few seem to fully understand (DXCC*), with a column for those of use who wanted to indicate their score didnt include EME. Evidence on the table suggests more than the odd one is highlighting this in some fashion. For this to result in language suggesting I was belittling any of my friends EME achievements is ridiculous.

Dont worry about it, if its going to give you sleepless nights. Lets leave it as is.
Kerry, G8VR
Thu Aug 14 2008, 03:52PM
Kerry, G8VR
Registered Member #107

God, where did I put those sleeping pills??????
Ian, G5WQ
Thu Aug 14 2008, 05:15PM
Ian, G5WQ
Registered Member #81

i will keep it brief this time so i dont upset too many people , honest .

all i want to express regarding EME qsos is this :

IT IS THE SAME RF THAT I SEND TO THE MOON THAT COMES BACK DOWN AGAIN AND IS RECEIVED BY THE OTHER STATION, AND VICE VERSA .

all we do is bounce the rf up and back down again .

a satellite is a totally different , and not to be confused with , way of making a contact , by using what is more or less a repeater system that has a remote transmitter actually located on the satellite itself .

moonbounce is no real different to any other form capable of reflecting ones own rf signal generated within our shacks and from our aerials ..

thankyou for the time for me to express my views .

thanks to all those amateurs around the world who give up their time to go to distant and rare locations unselfishly , so we can all add new prefixes worked .
without you we would be at a loss .
73 good luck on 6m one and all .
Dai, G8FXM
Fri Aug 15 2008, 08:03AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

First of all I'd like to apologise for my hastily prepared and ill worded post (trying to do too many things at once and not paying enough attention). I can see how it generated the response it got! To Kerry's point, yes it is a personal post and one which the committee would certainly not endorse. Secondly it left the impression that I may have something against EME and that is certainly not the case. I am interested in all facets of our hobby and have dabbled in most modes and forms of communication with the exception of EME. The reason why I have never used EME is I don't have a good enough station and probably don't have the required skills to do so, if I did I most certainly would. I should have never used the words "not eligible" this is certainly not what I intended to say. The suggestion I was trying to make was "perhaps" EME operators would like a place in the tables to record their progress in a similar way that IOTA chasers can and do today. I also think it "might" be an idea for QRP operators to have somewhere record their progress as their achievements may go unnoticed in the general tables. I do not condone division amongst our number either personally or as a committee member, those who know me, will know that. I'm happy to disscus ways in which we can improve the tables for the benefit of all here.
At least one positive thing has come out of this, it proves that the forum pages are being read which pleases me, and healthy debate on any Six Metre related subject is to be encouraged here.
Ken, G4IGO
Sat Sep 13 2008, 08:17PM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

This thread started after what appeared to be a simple misunderstanding re the DXCC column. I re-read the comments and can see that there is no support to keep the column. It is seem to be a waste as most dont want to/ wont use it. The forum was also used to bring in the divisive area of EME/WSJT/Digital (I have to say that in most other chats / boards any discussion that has caused division and even stronger reactions has been barred). As for setting up a separate EME/Digital/WSJT column well same as the DXCC it wont be used so doing it will be a waste of time and resources (you can lead a horse..). There clearly has been no support for this idea. If we continue down this road then whats the next minority column - ? As I said earlier this Table was setup purely for people, without any contesting, to place in the table what they have worked over the years. It is a great pity, from mails I have received, to know that there are many people who wont use the table any more and in fact if you check, are removing their entries what a great pity as it devalues the table and does not give a true reflection of the state of 50 MHZ. I hope the UKSMG will go back to the roots of the table, remove the contentious column and all the unwanted, not required comments.
On Committee members having views yes express them after all the UKSMG or us as Amateurs are not political groups.
On a final note may I point out that the people you can find on 50 MHZ all year round, week in week out are the WSJT/Digit/EME people so it should be their view that predominates?
Finally, based on the post by Tony I0JX on the AP page, should the table NOT include entries made by stations using remote operation much the same as satellite entries in any table etc. do not count other wise we will get a rash of DXCC claims made this way.

Bo, SM7FJE
Mon Sep 15 2008, 07:28AM
Bo, SM7FJE
Registered Member #77

It is also not fair to include Aurora in the DXCC listing as this is a propagation mode not usable for a large group of people.

Would it not be an idea to have a list for DXCC's worked in English, one for French, one for German ....
Peter, PA2V
Mon Sep 15 2008, 09:57AM
Peter, PA2V
Registered Member #76

.... And Dutch. No Swedish Bo
Bo, SM7FJE
Mon Sep 15 2008, 10:03AM
Bo, SM7FJE
Registered Member #77

How unfair Peter......! Scandinavian?!?
Peter, PA2V
Mon Sep 15 2008, 10:25AM
Peter, PA2V
Registered Member #76

Well... I can accept Scandinavian. But in that case I would like to have a separate colum for QRO and QRP contacts. And, they should reject the guys with more than 1 Yagi or 5 elements on that Yagi. Simply because it is unfair to me with the lag of space around my house. All just joking, but it indicates how many difficulties one can have to compare the achievements with another. Have fun, og hej hej Bo!
Neil, G0JHC
Mon Sep 15 2008, 04:30PM
Neil, G0JHC
Registered Member #110

put me down for the QRP colum
Go to page   <<        >>