Go to page   <<        >>  

Tables

Author Post
Brendan, G4DYO
Thu Aug 14 2008, 07:41AM
Brendan, G4DYO
Registered Member #441

MM0AMW.... irrespective of whether wishes to join the DXCC, the ARRL DXCC countries list provides a useful standard for all to work to and it has been adopted by many national societies. In this respect it certainly does provide a most excellent indicator of one's achievements.

[ Edited Thu Aug 14 2008, 07:45AM ]
Ken, G4IGO
Thu Aug 14 2008, 07:45AM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

May I point out, as a memeber of the UKSMG right back in the early days that, as I recall (maybe incorrectly) the Table was set up purely for entrants to put in their increasing amount of countries worked, along with the grids etc. The Table was NOT meant as a contest (but some are taking it as a contest). The rules were/are very simple - and there was not meant to be ANY segregation etc , as is now a common thead with a few entrants. Dont these people realise that there is enough division in the 50 mhz family now let alone causing more division? The rules have been modified once or twice over the years. I note that my origonal question as to what useful purpose is being served by these additions has not been answered. Yes I have modified my entry - but not in the divisive way that others have. At the end of the day either play by the rules that exisit, leave the table - or go set up your own table by your own rules.
I agree with Ian on the eme front - its bloody hard work to build the arrays etc such as he has - and he takes great pleasure in using it - why should other try and belittle his achievements? I respcrfully suggest that UKSMG removes all unneccary additions that, bluntly are seen as being devisive, and just allow the colums to be filled in as they were meant to be filled in.
The subjest of DXCC and cards / awards etc is a separtate one to the table subject.
If I am in error on my rememberance of what occurred some 20 plus years ago - please forgive an aging Man
My 2 pence worth
David, MM0AMW
Thu Aug 14 2008, 09:08AM
David, MM0AMW
Registered Member #37

Brendan G4DYO, I totally agree with you and others who have stated that the DXCC list of countries is the ONLY standard we have and that only valid countries from that list should be counted in your 'Countries worked' column.However, the'DXCC' column only really indicates whether or not you've collected the cards and applied for a DXCC certificate,which I have done, so I'm not having a pop at the ARRL DXCC program.
On the EME question, maybe a clarification of the entry rules would help and if EME contacts are allowed then I would be more than happy to bump up my score.
Dai, G8FXM
Thu Aug 14 2008, 09:17AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Personally I've always held the view that digital QSO's if, as Trev says made via terrestrial prop and including MS contacts are perfectly acceptable. EME should not be eligible. Maybe a case for an EME Standings table? Just my personal view
Ken, G4IGO
Thu Aug 14 2008, 09:17AM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

David - add to your entry - ALL modes by ALL means are elligable - unless I have missed something over the years as I have said above.
Ken, G4IGO
Thu Aug 14 2008, 09:21AM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

David - no no no no - dont go down the road of more division - enough already exists. Please look back and find the rules that were put in place all those years ago - NO exclusions were made - all and any were welome.
Ken, G4IGO
Thu Aug 14 2008, 09:25AM
Ken, G4IGO
Registered Member #31

2). AIMS:
The aims of the group will be:-
1 to encourage operation on the Six Metre Band,
2 to publicise and exchange information relating this band with other users
Ian, G5WQ
Thu Aug 14 2008, 12:19PM
Ian, G5WQ
Registered Member #81

id like somone to explain to me how an EME contact can be a satellite contact ,when the moon is a natural occuring object which is of the same age as the earth .

most terrestrial contacts are based upon the suns influence upon our planet and atmosphere , the sun is also outside of our atmosphere in the same way as is the moon .

no one complians about utilising the sun to affect 6m propagation every 10 years .

magnetism is not just based upon the north pole , it is also influenced by the sun and the moon .

the moon is not a man made object , it is as natural as the earth and any other planets within our solar system .

meteor scatter operation is also based upon reflecting signals from objects that are outside or that have entered our atmosphere from the solar system .

auroral qsos are based upon influence which includes the sun , the sun is outside of our atmosphere .

sporadic E layer enhancement , again the sun is involved , outside atmosphere influence .

F2 = suns influence .

im no scientist but i do know how much the sun has to do with radio communications , and also where the sun is located in relation to our atmosphere .

Kerry, G8VR
Thu Aug 14 2008, 02:00PM
Kerry, G8VR
Registered Member #107

Dave, G8FXM wrote:
Personally I've always held the view that digital QSO's if, as Trev says made via terrestrial prop and including MS contacts are perfectly acceptable. EME should not be eligible. Maybe a case for an EME Standings table? Just my personal view

We must all remember that this is his personal view, and not the view of UKSMG as a whole, if indeed UKSMG has a view at the current time.

My personal view, and also that of ARRL, is that this is perfectly acceptable. Likely we all have strong views, and they are likely to stay that way. None of us are going to convince each other any different.

Enjoy 6 metres, it's great...
Trev, EA5ISZ
Thu Aug 14 2008, 02:15PM
Trev, EA5ISZ

Registered Member #13

I don't have a view (that I would express here or in any public forum) and it shall remain that way as long as I am a member of the committee!
Go to page   <<        >>