Go to page       >>  

Tables

Author Post

Neil, G0JHC

Tue Aug 12 2008, 08:33AM
Steve, you have it right.
A quick run through the top 50 show only 14 with the correct entry in that column.
Some also choose to set it at 0 although they might have a DXCC record from the early days. Maybe its a waste of a column with less than 25% in the top 50 recording accurately there. That Stat drops below 20% further down the table.
Interestingly just under 50% of the top 13 demonstrate a demand to indicate their scores dont include data/EME.
Maybe it would be best to satisfy that demand with a column which could be highlighted with a simple asterix (*).
Peter PA2V, a good point . Im sure some in the table still inc YV0 FR/G, even after DXCC didnt allow them. Then again they could include what ever they want in that 1st column as there are no set rules for it. Like it or not, cards logged at DXCC is the only standard available.
On a final point, until the standings table becomes automated again, maybe when an update is sent, one could receive an auto reply email advising it has been queued ? Im unsure if my July update arrived, or got lost and I sent another a week ago which hasnt appeared yet. Id hate to be adding to work loads by continuing to resend every week or so.
This must be one of the webmasters bigger overheads (especially in the summer).
Kerry, G8VR
Tue Aug 12 2008, 05:39PM
Kerry, G8VR
Registered Member #107

I agree that like it or not cards logged at DXCC is THE standard. Equally, the DXCC standings table for 6m isn't split any further other than band, and in my opinion nor should it be.....
Brendan, G4DYO
Wed Aug 13 2008, 11:50AM
Brendan, G4DYO
Registered Member #441

I have submitted a revised claim with DXCC set at 0. I misunderstood the listings and believed that the DXCC score was for countries acceptable for DXCC.

I have no intention of QSLing any of my 6m QSOs unless requested and will not submit a 6m entry for DXCC, even though I am an avid HF DXCC addict. Reason? I don't ever expect to work 100 countries on the band!

I think I've got it right now, but please amend as necesssary.

Tks Bren G4DYO
Peter, PA2V
Wed Aug 13 2008, 05:49PM
Peter, PA2V
Registered Member #76

In my opinion the tables should reflect on what one have achieved. The bad thing of the current tables (not only the UKSMG ones) is that it is mainly used to build ego's and often doesn't do any good. Several years ago it led to a loss of very decent UKSMG members.
I don't say DXCC Desk is best. But up untill now their tables are at least checked by the desk and / or field checkers.
Just my view on standing tables etc.

GL, Peter PA2V
Chris, G3WOS
Wed Aug 13 2008, 06:10PM
Chris, G3WOS
Registered Member #53

I'm afraid that I cannot be bothered to get my cards verified by the DXCC body any more. It was always such a hassle - what was accepted one year, was rejected the next. I certainly collect the cards however, so I could change my mind if I so wished. Tables can only work on the basis of mutual trust and those that radically abuse that trust need to be taken to task as has happened several times in the past. Bren, you will 100 quite easily and be looking for the second 100 before too long. Collecting 6m countries is a competitive sport, like it or not, so there is no harm in having tables. Personally, I'm quite happy that I have an 'ego'. Whether it is too large it up to others to decide (and, no that is not an invite for you to tell me! Chris
Ian, G5WQ
Wed Aug 13 2008, 07:15PM
Ian, G5WQ
Registered Member #81

i like the facility of the standings table .

i can use it as a standby personal record of the number of countries ive worked , which i can access at any time easily , and i dont lose it .

ive never had a problem updating my score on the uksmg website , the update is allways made the day after i post an update , under the present structure of inclusion .
if it took longer though, i dont mind waiting, im a 6m man and we all know about waiting for openings dont we .

like most people i have a DXCC award and i am gratefull to fred G4BWP who checks the cards in england and for the time he is prepared to put in to do this for us .
it is also good that he is also a died in the wool 6m dxer amongst other things , which means he has a lot of knowledge of the 6m band and its followers . ..

if i had to send my cards abroad i may not bother with applying for an award though , because i dont want to stand the chance in the post to lose my prized cards that could have taken so much effort and time to get in the first place .

incidently i was looking through some old SIX NEWS yesterday and saw some UKSMG awards for 100 prefixes worked etc that were available back then .

each unto his own though i say and let the tables have whatever anyone wants included in them .

i dont like the idea of separating modes of operation for prefixes worked lists though , it only goes to segregate our hobby even more and to prove more satisfaction for those who have those kind of EGOs that feed on never ending disruption and manipulation ..
i dont mind if others want to include realtime DXCC credits and anything else theyd like to add in the tables , so long as they dont mind me including EME and DATA qsos made with my home made array , that took me 100s of hours of hard dirty work and sweat and much back pain and freezing rain soaked days in the process of building ,before even attempting anything remotely near a qso...

we all put our own hard work into what we do on 6m , so lets acknowledge each others achievements in equal terms and with the respect we all deserve .
Robbie, Ei2iP
Wed Aug 13 2008, 07:50PM
Robbie, Ei2iP
Registered Member #19

I have also changed mine to just my standard Countries Total and removed a DXCC total to avoid confusion.
I am not a DXCC, awards or QSL card chaser, my log is more than enough, of which I can see detailed information of locators, countries etc...

Great website, thanks for the service.

Robbie
Ei2iP
IO61CX
Christoph, DF9CY
Wed Aug 13 2008, 08:26PM
Christoph, DF9CY
Registered Member #65

Of course the DXCC listed cards is THE standard - but years ago I sent out cards (within DL) for 10m 100 DXCC - they are lost. I am somewhat "healed" from sending QSLs. I like the standings table here; I know what I have worked and that is in there.
73 de Christoph
David, MM0AMW
Wed Aug 13 2008, 09:46PM
David, MM0AMW
Registered Member #37

Personally speaking, I don't see any great need for a DXCC column at all as it is only a reflection of the individual ops choice to join or not to join the DXCC program and is really no indicator of their acheivements on the band. On the side issue of whether EME/data should be included, my view is that data qso's done by terrestrial prop modes, ie E's, MS, F2 etc are perfectly ok to include in the tables but I don't beleive EME contacts should be included as to my mind they are only glorified satellite qso's which can be done pretty much 'by appointment' if you have the right gear and doesn't reflect what can be worked by naturally occurring propagation. I should point out that I am a big fan of 6m EME and enjoy it immensely. Just my humble opinion.

David
MM0AMW
Trev, EA5ISZ
Thu Aug 14 2008, 06:49AM
Trev, EA5ISZ

Registered Member #13

Just to clarify, the DXCC column in the UKSMG standing tables was added after some discussion and requests from a number of users; it is not compulsory The column should be ignored or set to zero if you do not wish to use it.
Go to page       >>