Why Can't I Hear Anything on 6 Meters?

Author Post

Joseph, W4ONC

Thu Jun 23 2011, 08:14PM
For 6 meters I have put up an inverted V at 50 feet. I watch DXWATCH.COM for spots on 6 meters. For a month now I have yet to hear a peep out of 6 meters, not one dit. What am I doing wrong. My rig is a Kenwood TS-480HX.

Joe
W4ONC
Joseph, W4ONC
Sat Jun 25 2011, 04:23AM
Joseph, W4ONC
Registered Member #1584

Finally, after months of listening I made my first contact on 6 meters with a VE3. It just seemed to have opened up to the north for me. My first contact and no more than 3 minutes later another QSO with a VE3. I guess a path opened up just for me last evening. Thank you 6 meters.

Joe
W4ONC
Per, LA7DFA
Sun Jun 26 2011, 12:01AM
Per, LA7DFA
Registered Member #189

Try this map Joe. Sporadic E clouds are easy to spot there.

[ Edited Sun Jun 26 2011, 12:02AM ]
Ian, G5WQ
Sun Jun 26 2011, 12:25PM
Ian, G5WQ
Registered Member #81

hi joe
if you can do it i would highly recommend you try to install some kind of yagi , anything would work but obviously the bigger the better so to speak .
3 ele or more, whatever you can fit really , it will make a huge difference to what you hear now and what you will be able to hear .

at 50 feet high it will do a nice job and you ought to hear out to a distance of a few hundred miles on a flat band plus many thousands when the band is open .
a 5 ele yagi on something like an 18 feet boom is a good choice to start with , then you can see what youre local noise environment is and make decidsions later as to whether you can benefit from more gain etc .
not all locations are quiet on 6m and basically the more gain you have then the higher the local noises will be , it can be a problem to hear dx through local noise if you run lots of aerial gain , whereas a lower gain antenna may provide you with enough to be able to hear what you need to but it wont annoy you all day long listening to local qrm from the neighbours that gives you x amount s-points of just qrm and hash etc .

look at justins G0KSC website for 6m aerial designs, there will be something suitable on there for you that you can make easily and it will work well .

failing that you can buy an M2 6m5x or 6m7jhv yagi , or look on the cubex site if its a quad youre after, or look at the directive systems website for an optimised 5 ele yagi of around 18feet boom .

you probably have not yet experienced the band open fully , but it will do so over the next couple of months, if it hasnt already done so for you this week hi .
the TS480HX is a nice radio for 6m and you shouldnt have any problem hearing and working stuff with it .

look on the ON4KST chat page for dx and local region chat/sked pages and 6m dx info realtime and maps etc .
73 ian G5WQ
Joseph, W4ONC
Sun Jun 26 2011, 07:23PM
Joseph, W4ONC
Registered Member #1584

Ian,

Thank you very much for the information. It may be a while before I can put up a beam for 6 meters. Since being retired for a year money is a little on the short side. As soon as I can that is the one thing that I would like to purchase.

Thanks again,

Joe