Go to page       >>  

Logging Software

Author Post

John, G1VVP

Mon Apr 25 2011, 10:33AM
Here's a tall order!

For some time I have been looking for quite specific logging software to suit my logging needs but have been unlucky. Such software may not be free. Of course I don't expect something for nothing. Here's the list of 'wants'.

* I would like to define the entry fields myself so I can put the "Station, Signal, Locator, Contest Number" etc. in the order I want.

* The software needs to automatically date and timestamped each logging.

* I would like to be able to import and export the log in formats like xlsx and txt (I currently do everything manually in an Excel spreadsheet). ADIF is not much use to me personally.

* I would like the software to automatically calculate the distance between the two QTHs and enter this into the log. Locators are obviously essential for this.

* I would like the software to keep a tally on how many countries and grids (major AND minor) I have worked.

I feel like I have tried everything. All the above seem to be catered for in various logging packages but never all in the same programme. HRD Logbook probably comes the closest but it is too complex and the log entry fields are not user-definable. (At least, I don't think they are).

How demanding is that?

:0)

John, G1VVP
Roger, G4HBA
Mon Apr 25 2011, 07:01PM
Roger, G4HBA
Registered Member #54

Hi John

Have you looked at VQlog by Gabriel Sampol, EA6VQ? It has many of the features you are looking for. Good Luck!!

73 de Roger G4HBA
John, G1VVP
Mon Apr 25 2011, 09:22PM
John, G1VVP
Registered Member #1022

That's amazing!

This actually does everything I want!

Roger, thank you VERY much. I have been looking for something like this for the last two years. !phobes
Charlie, G4EST
Wed Apr 27 2011, 07:36AM
Charlie, G4EST
Registered Member #1527

John,
There are six customisable fields in HRD, but only accessed for data entry (I Think) via the Edit Log Entry feature. Process is Double click the log entry / select Custom tab in the edit window / click configure button to change names etc. This information is then held in the custom tab for further entries, although fields cannot be accessed directly. I use these fields for SOTA and WAB. It works but unwieldy.
The absence of a text or csv Export mode is a pain, however I open the database directly in MS Access and have designed interfaces for net control, output files etc as I need.

Charlie G4EST
John, G1VVP
Wed Apr 27 2011, 11:33AM
John, G1VVP
Registered Member #1022

Thanks Charlie.

I checked HRD Logbook for the features that you mention but at first glance I could not find the "Edit Log Entry" option you mention which is rather odd, only the "Modify" option. This just reminded me how complicated this software is. I don't think I have the enthusiasm to delve into it deeply again because the limited export options make it pointless for me. I think I would be wasting my time and I have spent hours/days on it as it is! It's certainly a comprehensive suite though but I think I am set in my ways now.

I did not expect to find a package which met all my needs but VQ Log seems to do it all. I need to purchase the software in order to use the export feature, but it looks like it will be worth it.

I have always used Excel for my logbooks. Excel is completely customizable of course but more awkward. VQ Log should simplify things enormously.

Thanks again.

John, G1VVP
John, G1VVP
Tue May 10 2011, 09:44AM
John, G1VVP
Registered Member #1022

After using VQ Log for a couple of weeks I can honestly say that this software is perfect for my needs. If I continue to say how wonderful I think it is this will probably sound like a commercial for it.

Regarding the lack of txt or csv export: There are several options at the bottom of each of the "Summaries" fields wheer you can 'publish' the files to "Web page" or "To a file", etc. which effectively gives you the text files or delimited files which can then be further manipulated. I would use these options for publishing lists to forums or to a web page, etc. Simple!

I had not realised that the person who created VQ Log is also the creator of the DX Sherlock cluster. Obviously, this man really understands the needs of ham radio operators but also takes things a few steps further to make things customizable. Nice one!

Thanks again for your help.

Very pleased!

John, G1VVP
David, G8LZE
Tue May 10 2011, 05:31PM
David, G8LZE
Registered Member #9

VQ Log does it for me but if you could hybrid it with some of the HRD logbook features like the band map and easier recovery of previous QSOs .............

David

[ Edited Tue May 10 2011, 05:33PM ]
Dai, G8FXM
Wed May 11 2011, 08:47PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Having just switched to Linux, I must say I'm impressed with CQRLog, does virtually everything you can think of. I believe there is a Windows version also but as the main development effort is in Linux, the Window version may be several versions behind Linux.
Dai, G8FXM
Wed May 11 2011, 08:50PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

The issue I'm beginning to see with HRD and HRDLogbook is that the development seems to have stopped for quite some time. The author(s) are currently focused on SDR software, hence one of the reasons why I looked elsewhere.
Trev, EA5ISZ
Thu May 12 2011, 08:54AM
Trev, EA5ISZ

Registered Member #13

Whilst logging programmes are a topical subject, can anyone tell me if any of these will do what Taclog does ie, you can enter contest data in any order and it automatically places it in the correct field? Its a great facility especially if you are both operating and logging as a single op.
Go to page       >>